Caring for a wig isn't the same as caring for natural hair. Even caring for a synthetic wig vs. a human hair wig is much different. A human hair wig should be treated with the utmost care in order to keep it looking natural and the hair in good condition. See below for tips on how to care for a human hair wig.
Products You'll Need:
- Wig stand
- Human hair shampoo and conditioner
- Comb out the hair to remove tangles. Be sure to comb starting at the ends so as to not cause shedding of the wig.
- Rinse the wig in warm water to wet the wig. Hold it with both hands and start at the root of the wig, moving it through the water all the way down to the ends.
- Hang the wig on the wig stand in a sink to shampoo and condition the wig. To shampoo, start at the cap and work the shampoo into the strands to remove daily buildup.
- Rinse the wig in warm water to remove the shampoo.
- Use the conditioner and work it into the strands of hair, being sure not to get it on the cap. Allow the conditioner to sit for a few minutes to work into the hair. Rinse the hair thoroughly to remove the conditioner.
- Squeeze the excess water from the hair, being sure not to wring it as you can pull out strands from the cap.
- Lay the hair onto a clean towel to help blot out any more water.
- Hang the wig back onto the wig stand, then use a blow-dryer and a round brush to dry, smooth and style the hair to keep it from frizzing.
You can style your human hair wig any way you prefer to help change up your look, but note that using too many products or styling too much can damage the strands, making it look a little worn over time, or even losing strands. Use a deep conditioning treatment if the hair is beginning to look dry or is damaged. You can find wig hair care products at your local wig shop or at a salon that sells hairpieces. Be sure not to use synthetic products on the wig, so as to not ruin the piece.
Wigs are not cheap, especially a human hair wig or hairpiece. Be sure to take care of it properly to help extend the life of your hairpiece. For more information, visit sites like http://www.lookoflovehair.com/.